The next item to refinish is an antique sewing table she found at GW. I love the lines and the little "pockets" on the sides. It was a fun table that needed a little love. She is putting this in her front entryway, in the same area as her side table, so she wanted them to coordinate.
After adding wood filler to a few chipped spots, sanding down the table and prepping for paint (this takes the longest and is always pretty dull work. I like the painting part, much more fun. But, if you want it done right, you have to prep!) I started with 2 coats of primer and then painted the table the same Heirloom White in satin (I used 2 cans to get good coverage) as the side table.
I used the same metallic color on the inside/top (not in the deep pockets or where the sewing machine usually sits, those parts don't get seen), and for some of the knobs. Then I covered the whole thing with a clear protective coat.
Here comes the tricky part. I wanted to add a detail to the top for some flair. It was screaming for a detail and I had the perfect solution. A stencil. I wanted a whimsical, cool stencil and I found one online. The only problem was I had no tools to actually make the stencil and with a little one sleeping at home, I couldn't really go buy the stuff to make it, so I tried to improvise. I found an old print from Ikea we were no longer using and taped the printed out stencil to the poster and tried to cut it out with regular scissors. Now the way to go about doing this is with plastic (a plastic binder cover or specific stencil sheets) and with an exacto knife. See how I didn't have either? Yeah, it was a huge, frustrating mess that wasted a whole hour of my time. Grrrr. So I finally hopped online and researched already made stencils and decided on one by Martha Stewart at Michaels. After the kid woke up from her nap, I dragged all 4 of my brood over there to purchase the stencil. Oh yes, this was going to happen folks!
I really wanted to just tape it on the table and spray paint away, but I also didn't want to run the risk of the spray paint seeping through the stencil or misting onto the bottom of the table. Again, good prep would make this a simple fix, but I am known throughout the land for my impatience and wanted to get started painting RIGHT NOW. So I used a matching paint and my stencil brush.
This made the image slightly raised but it still works.
Then I raided my stash of knobs and came up with my leftover glass knobs from a previous project.
They work because they are the same size as the original knobs and add another bit of dimension and fun to the whole thing.
Again, it was really fun to do another project for Erika.