Anyhoo, as I was saying, I've been wanting to try my hand at making this wreath stand. With my mother's birthday coming up (ahem, it was actually yesterday, but that's ok, right?), I thought this would give me the perfect excuse to try and make a wreath stand.
First step, off to the thrift store, to find a chair or old table I could basically tear apart. I'm hesitant to buy anything that is truly made well, just to take it home and destroy it. Eventually I found what I was looking for---an old, dirty, wobbly, poorly made chair for under $5. Yes, not what one usually looks for, but it suited my purposes.
Then, off to the local craft store to find something suitable for the base and to decorate the top of my wreath stand. I found one finial, but they were sort of pricey for this project, so I opted for some cheaper wood parts to substitute for the top.
I raced home to hide the evidence from my husband (he thoroughly enjoys seeing junky furniture in our house that I did, indeed, paid for), and to eagerly await the next day when I could start my project.
I decided to paint the bases and the top ornaments antique white and while I was waiting for them to dry, I attacked my chair. I unscrewed the legs from the base and proceeded to practice my kung-fu moves in order to separate the legs from each other. It worked wonderfully for one leg, but not so well with the other (I guess I need to keep practicing my kung fu). Finally, I got two legs off and took them to the basement for a good sanding (here in Minnesota, it's still freezing, so most of my projects are done in the unfinished laundry room). Then, I gave them a coat of the antique white acrylic paint.
Now comes the fun part---the drill! I have a very handy husband who has a wide variety of tools. I'm sure he loves that I'm raiding his huge tool box in the garage. I'm probably messing up his storage system or something, but I digress. Anyway, I used a huge drillbit (note to self, learn the real names of the tools I'm using) to drill a wide hole through the base
to simply slide the chair leg into. The first one was a bit tricky, but I learned what NOT to do and the second one was easy! I secured the legs with some Monkey wood glue and left them to dry overnight.
The next day I did another light sanding to let some of the wood grain show through. Then, I did a light stain over to give it a nice, old look. I hot glued some velvet ribbon around the holes where the chair legs had connected to each other and used my Monkey glue to secure the finials and other adornments to the top. Using my trusty drill (more drilling, woo-hoo!), I drilled some small holes in the top to screw in the hooks. I found this picture at Goodwill for $2, and hot glued the ribbon on it to hang from the hook. I'm planning on replacing the picture with one of my daughter's preschool pictures, and then sending it off to my mom.
I made two, because I wanted one also. This base is a little different, because it was the base I "practiced" on, and a lot of the wood splintered. I just used a transfer applique and tried to cover the splinters. It worked ok, but I'm not too picky!
Linking to: Funky Junk Interiors DIY Party, Between Naps on the Porch,
The Girl Creative, 2nd Time Around,
Blue Cricket Designs